PEC calculations for agrochemicals:
The calculation of Predicted Environmental Concentrations (PEC) in surface water and sediment, air, soil and groundwater is a requirement for the registration of Plant Protection Products in the EU.
We offer standard PEC calculations according to EU and country specific requirements:
- EU FOCUS tools (TOXSWA, MACRO, PRZM, SWASH, PEARL, PELMO etc.)
- National models (Exposit, EVA, HardSpec, FROGS, GeoPEARL, etc.)
As well as higher tier PEC calculations:
- Exposure Profile Analysis (according to E-Link)
- Inverse modelling (InversePELMO, PEST)
- Custom modelling approaches
- Landscape-level exposure analyses
Software development for automation
To speed up the standard FOCUS modelling we developed an automation tool for the PEC calculations in surface water which starts the current FOCUS models on its own, facilitates the necessary step 4 simulations and extracts results into your dossier or report. For further information, please contact autopec ( at ) wsc-regexperts.com.
Following the recommendations made in the E-Link Workshop (Brock & al. 2009) to include time-variable exposure profiles in the aquatic risk assessment, we developed a software tool (EPAT) to extracted these exposure profiles from PEC result files. The inclusion of the exposure profiles offers new, more realistic endpoints for the ecotoxicological risk assessment.
We prepare dossier sections for plant protection products for the EU, with a particular focus on ecotoxicology, environmental fate and toxicology
Landscape-level analyses with GIS software and probabilistic approaches increase the realism of exposure assessments.
Exposure profile analyses
Linking aquatic exposure and effect assessment provides more realistic endpoints for the aquatic risk assessment.
We conduct kinetic analyses of laboratory or field dissipation studies to establish endpoints for the exposure and risk assessment.
- Brock, T., Alix, A., Brown, C., Capri, E and Gottesbüren, B. 2009. Linking aquatic exposure and effects: Risk assessment of pesticides. CRC Press. Available online: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Theo_Brock/ publica-tion/46384862_Linking_Aquatic_Exposure_and_Effects_Risk_Assessment_of_Pesticides/links/564dc41708aeafc2aab00af9/Linking-Aquatic-Exposure-and-Effects-Risk-Assessment-of-Pesticides.pdf
- FOCUS 2000. FOCUS groundwater scenarios in the EU review of active substances. Report of the FOCUS groundwater scenarios workgroup, EC document reference Sanco/321/2000 rev. 2, 202 pp.
- FOCUS 2001. FOCUS Surface water scenarios in the EU evaluation process under 91/414/EEC. Report of the FOCUS working group on surface water scenarios, EC document reference SANCO/4802/2001-rev.2. 245 pp. Available online: https://esdac.jrc.ec.europa.eu/projects/surface-water
- FOCUS 2007. Landscape and mitigation factors in aquatic risk assessment. Volume 1. Extended summary and recommendations. Report of the FOCUS working group on landscape and mitigation factors in ecological risk assessment, EC document reference SANCO/10422/2005 v2.0. 169pp. Available online: https://esdac.jrc.ec.europa.eu/projects/focus-landscape-mitigation
- FOCUS 2014. Generic guidance for tier 1 FOCUS ground water assessments, version 2.2, 66 pp.